Austerity has hit rural communities particularly hard with cuts to transportation, social and health care and police and with housing costs increasingly unaffordable for many. Phillippa Heath
Both personally and professionally, Phillippa has been a part of rural communities her whole life.
Phillippa grew up in a village on the Shropshire/ Staffordshire border and has been a Beenham resident since 2017 and has been a part of rural communities her whole life.
A passion for rural life forged through childhood also provides a focus in her professional life. She has worked at the University of Reading’s Museum of English Rural Life for many years inspiring the next generation in the relevance and importance of the countryside to our lives today and into the future. Crucially, the role has also involved her consulting with farmers and various stakeholders in the countryside about the issues which matter to them most and the reality, challenges and opportunities of rural living within Berkshire and beyond.
Austerity has hit rural communities particularly hard with cuts to transportation, social and health care and police and with housing costs increasingly unaffordable for many. Therefore, as your councillor, she would push:
- To be a champion of those most disadvantaged in our local community including recognising the rights and needs of minority ethnic communities and challenging the hostile environment for refugees.
- To improve rural bus services, looking into using on-demand buses.
- Expansion of childcare/ Sure Start centres to unlock the potential of all children, especially the most disadvantaged.
- Addressing the lack of affordable housing, ensuring that at least 30% of new homes is council housing.
- To tackle the health inequalities, social isolation and disconnectedness experienced by many in our local area, especially older residents, since Covid 19
Our party members have campaigned for better school funding, pot-hole repairs and other issues of local concern.
Working hard for Aldermaston including Beenham, Padworth, Ufton Nervet, Sulhamstead and Brimpton.